Malta is an archipelago of three islands located between Sicily and Africa, famous for its beaches bathed in crystal clear waters, enchanting towns and its rich history, ranging from megalithic temples to the Knights of Malta.
Malta is a destination that attracts more and more tourists every year, a destination suitable for any traveler, for those who want a cultural holiday, for those who prefer relaxation and for young people looking for fun.
In this definitive guide we see all the tips for a trip to Malta, you will find all the information you need to organize your holiday on the island of Malta. You can visit Malta and have a great time as you rent a boat in Malta.
How to reach Malta
Getting to Malta is very simple . The international airport is perfectly connected with Italy and the rest of Europe. The route is covered by the Air Malta company and by the main carriers that depart from the largest Italian airports.
Flight prices vary according to the seasons, but thanks to low cost airlines such as Ryanair you can often find very affordable offers.
From Italy there are ferry connections that depart from Catania and other ports in Southern Sicily and take about 4 hours.
Alternatively there is the catamaran that leaves from Pozzallo and arrives in Valletta in about 1 hour and a half.
Connections with the airport
- Malta International Airport is located in Luqa, 8 km from Valletta.
- You have several options to reach your destination from Luqa Airport: taxi, bus, shuttle or by renting a car.
- Getting around by public transport from the airport is easy, as it is one of the main hubs of the bus network. There are several lines that allow you to reach the main destinations.
- If you can’t take the buses, because of the timetables, there is the Terravision company that connects the airport with the main tourist destinations on the island.
- Taxis are available 24 hours a day and are paid directly to the airport booking office, where you will find all the fares, for example a ride to Sliema costs € 20, while to Valletta € 18.
- Alternatively, you can book the shuttle service online. Shuttles take longer than taxis but are cheaper.
- Finally, you can rent a car directly at the airport, where the offices of the main rental companies are located.
How to get around Malta
Malta is quite small and turns around easily.A good way to explore the island is by bus, which serves the main tourist destinations. The central hub of Malta’s bus network is Valletta. It is certainly the cheapest and best solution if you have time available. The cost of the ticket is € 1.50 and is valid for 2 hours, or you can buy the 12-trip booklet for € 15. Unfortunately the service is not the most efficient, buses do not always leave at the indicated time, some routes run every hour and sometimes they skip the rides.
If, on the other hand, you do not have time but a budget, there are taxis, especially convenient if you are traveling in a group. Once you reach there, you can take a boat on rent and go around. This is the best experience that you will have now. A boating experience is Malta is truly unique.